Welcome to our blog

We wanted to start this blog as a way to keep track of all the new things going on in our family...read along for fun tales, lots of pictures and just try and keep up with the chaos!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Luke Matthew Burgess is Here!

After months of waiting, and several uncomfortable weeks at the end (for everyone in the family I think), Luke Matthew Burgess arrived to join our family at 10:49 am on Friday, June 21st.  He arrived in dramatic fashion, giving Mom the signal with contractions starting in the middle of the night around midnight.  This created a rush to the hospital in the early hours of the morning, followed by about 10 hours of waiting for him to appear later that morning.

I had not been feeling the best for the few weeks leading up to that, and in fact had told my doctor quite seriously on the day before he came that I felt like I was going to have a 9 pound baby.  I was proved almost right after Luke was measured...8 pound, 8 ounces and 20.5 inches long.  He didn't have a lot of hair when he was born, but what he did have was very, very light, almost white. He had long fingers and big feet, also part of what I believe was hurting me at the end.

It was a long day that Friday.  Mikey worked hard...helping get me to the hospital quickly, feeding me ice chips and helping with cold cloths when my epidural gave me some trouble, and getting me some great food after Luke was born.

Here are some pictures of our first few days with Luke.  We are incredibly, incredibly blessed to have welcomed him into our family.  He is a sweet soul already, and seeing him with Ellie and Tommy makes us so grateful to have him in our family.

Here is Luke right after he was born.  A little swollen, but sweet nonetheless.

Cuddling with Mom

This was taken Friday afternoon, right before his sister and brother came to meet him.  Its why he still looks peaceful  :)

Tommy meeting and holding Luke.  Love his sweet smile.  I will never, ever forget how excited Tommy was to meet his brother.  He hadn't said much when we talked to him about the baby before the big day.  Tommy came in, so excited, so happy and literally never stopped talking.  He asked all about his brother, wanted to touch him, hold him, know everything about him, see every part of him, and generally, he never stopped talking and smiling.  It was so cute.


Our big girl with her brother.  Ellie was so excited about the baby from day 1...well except for that tiny detail of Luke being a boy.  She told everyone who would listen about her disappointment that she was having another brother.  That disappointment seemed to melt away the minute she met him.  She held him like a pro of course, and just sat and examined him from head to foot.  About 30 minutes after she got there, she leaned over to me and whispered ever so quietly "Mom, I guess I am glad he is a boy".  I will never forget that either.

Dad getting in some cuddle time.  Dad was also happy for a couch during this hospital stay.  For our other two kids, he was stuck in a recliner.

What do you do if you are awale in a hospital at 3 am with your brand new baby?  Do a photo shoot of course.  These are some pictures of Luke the night he was born, without a flash so I wouldn't wake Mikey up.  He is so teeny, little and alert in these.

Even his hat was big.  

He was my buddy from the start.

Big snuggles.

Sweet boy.

Another photo shoot.  This was in the morning light the day after he was born.  You can see his hair better, his little lips.

LOOK AT THOSE FEET!!!  Soooo that was what was making me so miserable.

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment